2021 Midterm Reliability RFO (Request for Offers)
Clean Power Alliance of Southern California (CPA) is soliciting competitive proposals for resources needed to achieve compliance with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) decision requiring procurement to address mid-term reliability. Issued on June 24, 2021, the "Decision" orders load serving entities, including CPA, to procure 11,500 MW of new capacity statewide between 2023 and 2026. A portion of the new capacity procured must be in the form of Long-Lead Time (LLT) resources, defined in the Decision as long-duration energy storage or firm, zero-emitting generation. Ascend Analytics (Ascend) is administering this Request for Offers (RFO) process on behalf of CPA.
CPA's 2021 Midterm Reliability RFO seeks offers from the following product types:
- Renewable Generation Plus Storage Contracts: RPS-eligible generation paired with storage projects (40 MWh – 800 MWh in storage capacity). The storage duration must be at least 4 hours. The generation component (e.g. solar) should be sized to ensure the battery could be fully charged from 0% to 100% SOC every day of the year. Projects in this category must have a commercial operation date no later than June 1, 2026. CPA has a preference for projects with an earlier COD.
- Standalone Storage Contracts: Stand-alone storage projects with a storage capacity of 40 MWh – 800 MWh. The storage duration must be at least 4 hours. Projects must have a commercial operation date no later than June 1, 2026.
- Baseload/Firm Renewable Energy Contracts: Zero emissions generation capacity or capacity that is eligible under the requirements of the RPS program and has an expected annual capacity factor of at least 80%. Resources must not be use limited or weather dependent. No storage projects shall qualify under this provision. Projects in this category should have a generation size of 5 MW – 100MW and a commercial operation date no later than June 1, 2026. CPA has a preference for projects with an earlier COD.
Mandatory data templates will be supplied to bidders for submission of project information. Projects will be evaluated on a combination of quantitative and qualitative factors that include economic value, development risk, workforce development, environmental stewardship, benefits to Disadvantaged Communities, and project location.
|September 29, 2021||RFO opens|
|October 14, 2021||Bidder Webinar to discuss RFO process at 11:00am Pacific Time|
|October 20, 2021||Deadline to submit Q&A questions at 11:59pm PT. Submit questions on the RFO website.|
|October 28, 2021||Q&A responses posted to the RFO website|
|November 10, 2021||Deadline to submit RFO Proposals at 5:00pm PT|
|January/February 2022||Bidders notified of shortlist status|
|January-June 2022||Contract negotiations and awards|
Upon launch, the full RFO is available for download on the RFO Website, which includes the following documents:
- 2021 Midterm Reliability RFO Protocol
- Submission Instructions for 2021 Midterm Reliability RFO
- Offer Form Template
- CPA RPS PPA
- CPA RPS Plus Storage PPA
- CPA Energy Storage Agreement
- CPA NDA Agreement
- CPA Exclusivity Agreement
A bidders’ webinar will be held on Thursday, October 14th from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PST. The webinar will discuss the RFO process. To participate in the webinar, bidders must first register on the RFO Website.